The London Borough of Barnet is one of 32 London boroughs created in 1965 and contains the former urban districts of Chipping Barnet and East Barnet, both previously in Hertfordshire and the urban district of Friern Barnet and boroughs of Finchley and Hendon, previously in Middlesex.
Barnet is located only about 10 miles north-west of Charing Cross, providing a convenient, pleasant and desirable location to live and work. There are excellent transport links serviced by both underground and mainline stations providing easy access to London's West End and City for a daily commute; London's M25 orbital motorway is within 4.5 miles.
Barnet’s excellent reputation in achieving high levels of academic success continues to encourage people to move into the area for good primary and secondary education. Also enjoy its greenbelt countryside parks, leisure facilities, public houses, shops and restaurants.With Hadley Wood and Arkley nearby, it combines the good value property of Barnet with the luxurious homes of the rich and often famous residents who enjoy the many benefits of living in Barnet.
Further education can be considered at the recently rebuilt Barnet College in Wood Street, providing both full and part time courses in many categories.
St. John the Baptist Church, better known as Barnet Church, (built 1560) stands at the centre of the town in the area known as Chipping Barnet, on the highest point between London and York. The Tower is open to the public on occasion, commanding unrivalled views of the surrounding area and the many landmarks of London’s changing skyline.
The word 'Chipping' denotes the presence of a market. Barnet Market is open twice weekly on Wednesdays and Saturdays and has existed in various forms since the 12th Century. Hence we have Chipping Barnet as well as High Barnet, New Barnet and East Barnet.
Steeped in history it is said that the Hill in the children’s rhyme ‘The Grand Old Duke of York’ is based on Barnet Hill after the 1471 Battle of Barnet. It is the site of an ancient and well known horse fair from which comes the rhyming slang ‘Barnet Fair or Barnet for hair’ dating back to 1588.
In 1652 Barnet Well was documented as having medicinal waters, later in 1664 Samuel Pepys, English Naval Administrator, Member of Parliament and famous diarist, is understood to have visited the area to take the water. The remains of the well buildings can still be seen in Well Road.
Further interesting historical artefacts and information on the area’s interesting past can be found at Barnet Museum in Wood Street.